White Pine Lodge, Lake of the Woods, Ontario, Canada

Canada Border Crossing Information

Canadian Visitor Tax Refund

As an international tourist or non-resident, you may be eligible for a Tax Refund on the GST/HST you paid on your All-inclusive travel tour packages. Your package must meet the eligible criteria. Eligible receipts will receive up to 50% of their GST/HST paid rebated.

What is an eligible tour package?

An eligible tour package is a tour package that is sold for an all-inclusive price and includes:

  • short-term and/or camping accommodation in Canada; and
  • at least one service

Updated Information:
Rebate forms available on line at:

Form Required: GST/HST Rebate Application for Tour Packages -  Form - GST115 -13E

This program does not apply to everyone. Rebate qualifications are required, please read the detailed requirements on the government web site for eligibility before applying. You can download the online application form from the Canadian Tax Refund site or pick up a copy during check out. Our White Pine staff will help you with any question or concerns you may have in regard to the rebate form.

Information: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Send the completed form with supporting documentats attached to:

Summerside Tax Centre

275 Pope Rd.

Summerside, PE C1N6A2


Call for further information at: 1-800-565-9353 or 1-902-432-5604

You have up to one year from the date of departure to make a claim.

Travel Tour Packages include accommodation, meals and transportation. Can you claim a GST/HST refund for this? Yes, you can claim 50% of any eligible taxes.

White Pine Lodge Eligible Packages are:

  • All-Inclusive Fishing Packages
  • All-Guided Fishing Packages
  • Semi-Guided Whitetail deer hunts
  • Full-Guided Whitetail deer hunts
  • Full-Guided Black Bear hunts
  • Note: All of the above package if modified may no longer qualify

Frequently asked questions about crossing the border into Canada

Q. What identification do I need to cross the border?

A.  Two forms of identification are required, one preferably with a photo. It is advisable to carry identification that indicates citizenship (i.e. birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport)

  • All Children under 18, whether or not traveling with their parents, must have identification. When traveling with others a note from parents/guardian is recommended. It is also advisable to supply a telephone number so that those travel arrangements can be confirmed by the Customs Agent

Q. I have a minor criminal offence on my record. What should I be concerned about? (For you or one of your traveling companions)

A. There are steps that MUST be taken a minimum of 6 weeks prior to your travel date. THIS INCLUDES ANY PAST CONVICTION FOR DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED. You will not be permitted access to Canada unless these steps have been fully complied with. For info on minor criminal offences such as driving under the influence
Refer to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/rehabil.asp

  • From 1 to 5 years old.  Read carefully.
  • From 5 to 10 years old.  You may be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation
  • After 10 years you may be eligible with one less serious criminal conviction
  • If you have one Criminal Conviction or more you may be eligible to apply for rehabilitation.
  • Contact Lucy Perillo, (800) 438-7020, http://www.BORDERCROSSING.CA for estimate on processing your paperwork.

Q. How much liquor can I bring into Canada?

A. You are allowed to bring in 24-12 oz. cans or bottles of beer or 40oz. liquor or 1.5 liters of wine free of duties and taxes. You must be 19 years of age to import alcohol into Ontario. Any amount in excess of 45 liters will not be allowed entry.

Q. How much tobacco can I bring into Canada?

A.One (1) carton of Cigarettes and 50 cigars and 1 - 200g can of tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.  Duties and taxes are collected on any excess amount. You must be 19 years of age to import tobacco products into Ontario.

Q. What is prohibited to bring into Canada?

A. List as follows:

  • Radar Detector
  • Dog Food
  • Fire Wood
  • Large Capacity Cartridge Magazines (Exceeding 5 rounds of centre fire rifles)
  • Live minnows, leeches
  • Potatoes
  • Military style attack rifles

Q. What food am I allowed to bring into Canada?

A.  Visitors to Canada may bring certain goods as "personal baggage", duty and tax free, provided all such items are declared to Customs upon arrival, and are not subject to restrictions.

  • A reasonable amount of personal items, supply of food (for personal use) and a full tank of gas.
  • Gifts not exceeding $60 Cdn for a friend/relative in Canada.  This does not include tobacco products, alcohol or advertising material.
  • Gifts valued at more than 460 Cdn are subject to duty or applicable taxes on the amount the gift exceeds the $60 value.
  • Live earthworms are permitted, but only when packed in artificial bedding (no earth or soil). Frozen or salted minnows are allowed.

Q.  Can I bring a pet?

A. Dogs and cats entering Canada must have a valid vaccination certificate, signed and dated by a veterinarian issued within the preceding 36 months. The certificate must provide a sufficient description and detail in order to identify the pet.

Q.  What about insurance?

A. You must be able to provide proof of insurance and ownership upon request.

Q. What do I need to bring my firearms into Canada?

A. ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada.

  • You must obtain a gun permit for your guns. Refer to http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/num-nom/909-eng.htm.  You may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario for hunting or competition purposes when you are 18 years of age or older. Firearms must be Registered for a fee of $25. This permit is valid for a period of 60 days. You can also bring up to 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized shooting competition. Any amounts of ammunition in excess must be tax paid.

Visit our Hunting License and Firearm Information section for additional information.

For more information contact 1-800-731-400 or (705) 329-7662 or visit the Canadian Firearms Centre at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca
For information on traveling to Canada please visit: www.travelcanada.ca or call 1-800-O-CANADA(1-800-622-6232)
You can also visit:  http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/